- This event has passed.
Go Ask Erin Lightroom Intensive for Beginners – October 2018
October 19, 2018 - October 21, 2018$395
This is an intensive, hands-on and above all fun underwater-specific workshop.
The beginning session is suitable for Lightroom newbies, or anyone wanting to review or renew their Lightroom chops.
To get the most out of the workshop, you’ll need a laptop running the most recent version of Lightroom Classic that your OS can handle, and at least 1 external hard drive (preferably 2), all with the appropriate power sources and cables. Make sure your laptop is functioning well and you can open Lightroom Classic. There’s a lot of information to cover, and we won’t have time to fix computer problems.
You’ll need 3-5 of your own underwater images for me to work on. All skill levels of shooter are welcome!
FRIDAY 7PM – 10PM
Friday evening is a peek into the key concepts of Lightroom, and a check-out dive for your editing system. Bring your laptop and drives, and set them up to make sure everything’s in good working order. I’ll also be asking you what your goals are for the workshop. Try to think of something more specific than “I want to make my images look better” (although that’s a good one!).
- What’s a Lightroom Catalog?
- What’s a Lightroom Library?
- The language of Lightroom
- Setting the right Preferences and View Options
SATURDAY 10AM – 6 PM
Saturday’s session focuses on workflow – you’ll get the tools and techniques you need to save yourself from drowning in your own images. Learn to organize efficiently, so you can get to the fun part of the editing process more quickly.
- Folder organization and naming conventions
- Importing from a media card
- Importing from existing folders
- Creating presets to automate and customize
- Sorting, Comparing, Flagging and Deleting – Making a QUICK first pass
- The power of Collections – Collections, Collections Sets, and Smart Collections
- Where the #$%! are my images?
- 3 things to NEVER do in Lightroom
- Keywording and Searching
- Exporting, Uploading and Emailing
- Troubleshooting – What to do if you screw it up
- End of day Q&A
SUNDAY 10AM – 6PM
Sunday’s session focuses on the Develop Module – This is the fun part. Learn to harness the power of post and maximize the potential of your shots. It’s magic.
- White Balance, tonal corrections and contrast
- Adjusting water color and minimizing unwanted color casts from ambient light
- Selective sharpening
- Local Brushes and Filters
- Adjusting your lighting in post
- Vignettes and custom vignettes
- Backscatter and object removal
- Video editing for dabblers in Lightroom
- From Lightroom to Photoshop and back
- Image Clinic – I work on YOUR images.
Class limit of 12 people
If you haven’t looked into it already, I recommend checking out Adobe’s Photography Package for Lightroom Classic and Photoshop CC. It’s a dynamite deal and the way of the future, like it or not.
Erin Quigley is an Adobe ACE certified expert specializing in customized workflows and editing strategies using Adobe Photoshop and Lightroom. She is an award-winning underwater photographer and editor, and creator of GoAskErin.com, which provides one-on-one instruction, custom video tutorials, and Photoshop and Lightroom resources specifically developed for underwater shooters. Erin writes the Imaging Techniques column in Scuba Diving Magazine and teaches imaging workshops worldwide. Erin is a member of the Boston Sea Rovers, Ocean Artists Society, and the Women Divers Hall of Fame.